Saturday, November 5, 2011

Libera was in Cebu

I attended the Libera concert in Cebu last October 28, 2011 exactly two years after I attended my very first Libera concert in the exact same venue. Surreal. They've improved a lot since their last visit. I simply loved how they setup the stage this time around. There was no screen in the middle of the stage, but there were two large screens at both sides that showed some closeups and panning shots of the choristers during the performance. At the back of the choristers were a string quartet, recorder and keyboard, and percussions. The last time they were here they only had Fiona Pears playing the violin at the side. Also, this time around, I can name majority of the group (all of those that went here in 2009 and some new faces), which made the experience even better.

My favorite song in the concert, if I could only pick one, will have to be "Eternal Light" with a perfect solo by Stefan Leadbeater. He is older now at the concert compared to the one in the Peace CD used in the video below and his voice is even better than the one in the CD. And the soaring harmonies is so uplifting. I thought this is what chorale music should be. To brighten up your day. Stefan is clearly at the peak of his treble career so hopefully Mr. Prizeman will be able to compose some more songs for him and Libera for future CDs.



My second favorite will have to be their special Libera arrangement of a popular Pinoy Christmas song, "Himig ng Pasko". The solo was done by Ralph Skan. Ralph has a different kind of voice that suits this song quite well. Mr. Prizeman, their musical director, knows the voices that his group have very well and assigns them the perfect part of the song for each. I could only imagine what it would have been like if he was our musical director back in high school when I was a member of our school choir. With that kind of training, I probably would have a singing career by now. :)



These two, Stefan and Ralph, were new touring members of Libera (not all of them tour) when they first came here two years and now they practically carry the group. I already have a copy of their Christmas album and looking forward to own a cd that contains their version of "Himig ng Pasko" in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment