Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentines 08

Happy Valentine's Day to all. One of those "Hallmark" holidays as they say. Created for a commercial purpose. I'm very sleepy now.

***

Here's a song that I like right now. It's "Nessun dorma", in English "No one shall sleep." Popularized by the late tenor Luciano Pavarotti from the opera "Turandot". Search for it on the net. Once you'll listen to it you'll say, "Ahh, I've heard that before..."

The Prince
Nessun dorma, nessun dorma ...
Tu pure, o Principessa,
Nella tua fredda stanza,
Guardi le stelle
Che tremano d'amore
E di speranza.
No one sleeps, no one sleeps...
Even you, o Princess,
In your cold room,
Watch the stars,
That tremble with love
And with hope.
Ma il mio mistero è chiuso in me,
Il nome mio nessun saprà, no, no,
Sulla tua bocca lo dirò
Quando la luce splenderà,
Ed il mio bacio scioglierà il silenzio
Che ti fa mia.
But my secret is hidden within me;
My name no one shall know, no, no,
On your mouth I will speak it*
When the light shines,
And my kiss will dissolve the silence
That makes you mine.
Chorus
Il nome suo nessun saprà
E noi dovrem, ahimè, morir.
No one will know his name
And we must, alas, die.
The Prince
Dilegua, o notte!
Tramontate, stelle!
All'alba vincerò!
Vanish, o night!
Set**, stars!
At daybreak, I shall conquer!

No comments:

Post a Comment