Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Creativity, Inc. and other books

I was surprised to learn that I read less in 2014 than I thought I had. I assumed I was still a voracious reader like in the past. Sadly, a quick look at the year that's about to end and it's not the case.

The following were the books I finished reading this year (not in chronological order):

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green
Everlost by Neal Shusterman
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
Palace of Stone by Shannon Hale
Creativity, Inc. by Ed Catmull

My library contains a few others, but I won't list them here because I have not yet read them completely. At the moment, I'm listening to the audio book Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. I listen to only small bits at a time, so there's a good chance I won't finish it by the strike of midnight on the last day of the year.

Of the six books I read in 2014, my favorite is Creativiy, Inc. by Ed Catmull, the only non-fiction book I read this year. I always liked Pixar because they consistently produced films that I and, judging by their box office performance, millions other people like. The first Toy Story (also their first feature length release) and Finding Nemo remain my favorites among their movies. I believe in Pixar, the brand, so much that I decided years ago that I'll watch every film they produce at least once in theater. Creativity, Inc. is a fascinating read for a fan like me. I got to see an overview of how things are run inside the studio, a bit of how they produce their movies, and a bit of their history as well (from Lucasfilm, to the time Steve Jobs bought them, to the time they merged with Disney). I recommend this book to all fans of Pixar. It's a worthwhile read.

Here's hoping I read more books in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment