Friday, November 28, 2008

That other vampire movie

If you want a more compelling love story between a vampire and a human, you'd want to see Let the Right One In. The vampire is the girl and the human is the boy. They're both 12 years old. You get to see the vampire be like a vampire and the human be more like a human. It's a love story within a horror story.

I have to give the writers credit for convincing me to care for the vampire that, unlike in Twilight, actually did vampire stuff (like killing an innocent stranger for blood). Hey, it's not everyday that I sympathize with vampires. When I was eight, there was this certain time when I and my friends wore red arm bands as protection from vampires rumored to be roaming around preying on children. On hindsight, it was very naive of us to believe that a piece of cloth of a particular color would protect us from the bloodsucking creatures of the night, but the most interesting thing was that it was our parents who actually made us do it. It was as if all the parents in our neighborhood unanimously agreed that vampires did exist, infiltrated our peaceful village, and the red arm band would spare us. It was a very rural thing. And it was my childhood. And here I am, actually caring for this bloodsucking vampire in a way that Twilight never made me, however tame the vampires in there were compared to this one in Let the Right One In.

Go see it if you get the chance. It's a Swedish film based on a Swedish novel.

***

Speaking of writers who made me care for characters whom I normally wouldn't, I can say the same thing for the writers of the Prison Break TV series that is now in its fourth season. It takes time for a US series to come here in the Philippines. At first, I mainly only heard about this series in its pilot premier. I heard about it from the Fox News Channel. They were predicting it to be a hit and I thought I'd never watch the series if it ever came here in the Philippines. When I was young and whenever we heard news about a local prison break, our neighborhood would become alert all of a sudden and our parents would barely let us out especially if the escapees included murderers. I'd imagine, if that breakout from the first season of this popular TV series happened in our city, my parents would never let me out the house and play with my friends until all of them are aprehended or killed. And here I am, many years later, actually sympathizing with the escape convicts from the series. The writers should get an award for each season the series is on air.

No comments:

Post a Comment