Sunday, December 21, 2008

Break and rebuild

Smooth, smooth, slow, smooth, smooth, slow, slow, smooth.

That's the flow of traffic from our home to downtown Cagayan de Oro. Or at least that's the flow during rush hours. The last time I was here, third week of November, they were not yet there. And yet here they are just weeks later. Roads. Underconstruction. What's interesting is that I didn't notice any problem with the roads they are reconstructing now. But then again I'm just a commuter so what do I know about roads and such? But why December? It's the month when most Kagay-anons working and studying outside the city comes back home for the Christmas break. Perhaps to give us the illusion of progress? Or maybe to treat our eyes to something different than we were last here? So that we may go ahead and nod our heads and think, "Ahh... Something's changed." Whatever the reason, these roads will certainly be smoother after they are done, I hope.

***

It's the fifth day of my long vacation and Christmas is a mere four sleeps away, and I still haven't started reading any of the books that I planned to read for this long vacation. Somehow I found places to go to and things to do besides reading books. I'm still determined to finish them before I go back to Cebu, but even if I won't finish them I'd still be able to read them the next time I return. But hey, it's a long vacation, and really this is just the fifth day. There'll be plenty of idle times ahead and when they do come I'll be ready, book in hand, pillow on my back, and nothing around me but the cool, drowsy silence of our village in idle times.

No comments:

Post a Comment