Friday, February 9, 2007

Hayley

Walking with Hayley is like a guided tour of heaven. The rough road is transformed into a golden pathway. The houses that go whichever way quickly dressed up in uniforms. In a moment each one is as tall as the other one. I walk with Hayley and my steps go lighter every word she says. Problems, gone. Worries, gone. All smiles.

So why, tell me why the good die young my old friend
I pray that heaven waits for everyone in the end
And love, love is how we cross that bridge to the light
A star that is what you are in my darkest night
Be always by my side
-Hayley Westenra, Heaven

I smile even as she confides a sad story. I smile even as she tells it in the brink of tears. I smile because I hear in her voice a promise that everything is going to be okay. I walk away from her assured that I'm going to be fine. She gave me a small cross. Something to remember the promise by, her promise, God's promise. I'll meet my sister again for, as Hayley said, heaven waits for everyone in the end. Heaven will wait for me. My sister will wait for me. I will continue walking. Walk with me.

For Emily.

1 comment: