Thursday, February 22, 2007

Teach us to number our days aright

We can only live our days wisely when we see God clearly.
- Josh Harris


Sometimes I am too conceited, too confident to think that God is always smiling down on me that I forget that I really do have a lot of transgressions. But when I do remember to look for him, to ask for forgiveness, to ask for blessing, everything becomes clearer.

Seeing God clearly is anything but easy. But in those times that I do see Him clearly, I am truly happy.

Teach us to number our days aright,
that we may gain a heart of wisdom.
Relent, O LORD! How long will it be?
Have compassion on your servants.
Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love,
that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.
- Psalm 90:12-14


It is that simple, really. I just need to recognize the fleeting nature of my life in order to see things in perspective. That I don't have time to worry over trivial stuffs. Or no time to worry at all. Be true to myself. Find ways to celebrate the things that make me happy and forget about those things that won't.

***

Tomorrow my officemates and I will watch the premiere performance of West Side Story at the Rodelsa Hall of Liceo de Cagayan University. If we push through, it would only be my second time at the Rodelsa Hall. I went there the first time to watch the concert of soprano Evelyn Mandac, which was almost a year ago. It's an excellent place for the performing arts. The seats are very good, wall-to-wall carpeting, superb acoustics, and very theater-y ambiance. I don't think there's a better place for the performing arts here in Mindanao than the Rodelsa Hall.

I think the only reason why serious concerts are not being held there is that it can't hold as many audience as the regular, ugly, lame concert venues here in the city. In other words it's not very "pang-masa". Because of the limited seating, in order for the for-profit not-so-serious concerts to be held there, the organizers are going to have to charge very high for the tickets. But for soprano/tenor concerts, choral concerts, piano recitals, and other serious concerts, there's no better place than Rodelsa.

Because of the limited seating, most events at the Rodelsa are by local theater groups and local artists only. The West Side Story will be performed by the University's theater group, I think. Last year they performed The Sound of Music. I can't understand why my alma mater, Xavier University (Ateneo de Cagayan), won't invest on a facility equal to that of Liceo de Cagayan University's Rodelsa Hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment